Debess manna (whipped cranberry dessert)
This is a great recipe for when fresh cranberries are plentiful, but whole, frozen ones work just as well.
2 cups whole cranberries
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
½ cup cream of wheat
1. Rinse cranberries and place in a medium saucepan with the water.
2. Boil and cook until berries are soft.
3. Remove from heat and force berries through a sieve to collect the juice in a bowl.
4. Scrape the skins out of the sieve and return to the pot with ¼ cup water and bring to a boil. Sieve and collect the juice. Discard the skins.
5. Return juices to the pan and add sugar. Stir in cream of wheat. Cook and stir until thickened. Taste and add more sugar if needed.
6. While the mixture is warm (but not hot) place in a mixing bowl and whip with a wooden spoon (or mixer) until the mass turns into a pale, thick, foamy, cloud.
7. Spoon into a serving bowl and allow to cool. Serve with fruit, cold milk or a vanilla sauce.